Mastodon

Thursday, April 25, 2019

V - Violence & Mental Health #AtoZ #MentalHealthAwareness


 Research has shown that people receiving effective treatment for a mental illness are no more violent or dangerous than the rest of the population. People with a mental illness are more likely to harm themselves – or to be harmed – than they are to hurt other people.


Public opinion surveys suggest that many people think mental illness and violence go hand in hand. In fact, research suggests that this public perception does not reflect reality. Most individuals with psychiatric disorders are not violent. Although a subset of people with psychiatric disorders commit assaults and violent crimes, findings have been inconsistent about how much mental illness contributes to this behavior and how much substance abuse and other factors do.

 Violence is not a symptom of psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia. There is a slightly increased possibility that someone with a psychotic illness may be violent if they:
  • ·         are not receiving effective treatment
  • ·         have a previous history of violence
  • ·         misuse alcohol or drugs.





Symptoms of psychotic illnesses may include frightening hallucinations and delusions, as well as paranoia. This means there is a small chance someone who is experiencing these symptoms may become violent when they are frightened and misinterpret what is happening around them.

However, it is true that a minority of people with schizophrenia can become aggressive when unwell. One reason for such a response could be a fear of symptoms, such as hallucinations. These people normally express their aggression towards themselves, or to family and friends – rarely to strangers.

Research suggests that violence by people with mental illness — like aggression in the general population — stems from multiple overlapping factors interacting in complex ways. These include family history, personal stressors (such as divorce or bereavement), and socioeconomic factors (such as poverty and homelessness). Substance abuse is often tightly woven into this fabric, making it hard to tease apart the influence of other less obvious factors.



Mental health workers, people with a mental illness and their families all agree that the most important step in preventing violence is to make sure people receive effective treatment as early as possible.
Mental health workers need to know who is most at risk of being violent or of being a victim of violence and make sure they receive the most effective treatment – as quickly as possible and for as long as they need it. This is especially important in a person’s first episode of illness.
It is important for everyone in the community to understand that mental illness is not a choice. It can happen to anybody. It is equally important to understand that violence is always unacceptable, and must be addressed in certain cases as a public health issue.

DISCLAIMER: All the information being provided her has been sourced from the internet and books and some also via personal experiences. It has no medical authentication per se so suggestions if followed must be done in consultation with a trained mental health professional.

References:



This post is a part of April Blogging from A To Z Challenge
You can find all my posts here.




19 comments:

  1. Another myth of violence in Mental patients broken. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! This article couldn't be written any better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this.
    I'll send this post to him. Pretty sure he will have
    a great read. Thanks for sharing! bookmarked!!,
    I really like your website! Ahaa, its pleasant conversation regarding this article here at this web site, I
    have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.
    http://starbucks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Harjeet for your constant support

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty decent written and published piece of writing. It's
    going to useful in order to anyone who can make use of the item, as well as others.
    Keep doing your work And i'm able to undoubtedly continue reading items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my
    iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you
    present here and can't wait to take a look when I
    get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone ..

    I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been running a blog for?
    you make blogging glance easy. The entire look of your website is magnificent, as well as the content!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post.

    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post.
    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am hoping to offer one thing back and help others like you aided me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am hoping to offer one thing back and help others like you
    aided me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all important
    infos. I'd like to look extra posts like this .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come
    with almost all important infos. I'd like to look
    extra posts like this .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?

    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good
    results. If you know of any please share. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I'm quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I'm quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for writing this awesome article. I'm a long time reader but I've never been compelled to leave a comment.
    I subscribed to your blog and shared this on my Twitter.
    Thanks again for a great article!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for writing this awesome article. I'm a long time reader but I've never been compelled to leave a comment.
    I subscribed to your blog and shared this on my Twitter.
    Thanks again for a great article!

    ReplyDelete

Keywords

2019 answers anxiety apathy April Blogging challenge B-A-R barathon birthday blog Blogarhythm blogathon Book Review books BOY breasts brothers Buddha bullying cartoons chandigarh child childhood children cities colour compassion contest cosmos culture dad daughter de death death loneliness alone December delhi depression desire devi discrimination disorder diwali domestic violence dreams emily emotional abuse eyes facebook fairytale family fear feminism festival film fire first flash fiction fog freedom freeze frenemy friends GADGETS games gender gender ratio girls god grandfather grandmother grief HAIKU Hamlet happy heart hills hindi home hope husband independence day indiblogger internet jagjit singh kashmir kerouac kids lessons life life lessons light loneliness lonely longing loss love lover marriage me memories memories men menstruation mental health mind miss mom mom dad mother mother's day motherhood mythology nest new year nobody nostalgia pain pakistan panjab university papa paradoxes patriarchy periods poem poet poetry priyamvada questions random thoughts rape relationships religion remember rickshaw ritual Rumi Ruskin Bond sad sex Sexism sexual harassment sexual harrasment shimla short story silence social media soul Stream of consciousness sufi suicide summers taboo time toddlers tradition tragedy twitter valentine violence voice war winter woman women women's day Womensweb words. thoughts words.thoughts worry worship writer writing yatra yeats zen zen. बेटी माँ

COMPANIONS CALLED BOOKS

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
Animal Farm
The Alchemist
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Romeo and Juliet
Frankenstein
The Odyssey
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Count of Monte Cristo
Eat, Pray, Love
Lolita
The Da Vinci Code
The Kite Runner
The Silence of the Lambs
The Diary of a Young Girl
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
The Notebook
Gone With the Wind
}

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario
my work on display there !!!!!